Monday, January 5, 2015

Wolfing them down

I am not a genre person. I don't have a narrow way of reading books. I like my books varied in styles, well, for the most part. 

But one genre I am not able to tear myself away from and has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me over years gone by, is the werewolf genre.

I am a Wattpad girl, and am not at all ashamed of admitting my obsession with the application and the site.

The Werewolf genre is in some ways very close to being vilified in the same way that Mills & Boons books have been.

Most of the books have the same cliché plot wherein the big, bad alpha wolf finds his mate whom he loves to the moon and back. The girl resists but in the true "damsel without brains" way falls in love with aforementioned werewolf and they live happily ever after (Obviously this happens after a bloody pack war due to complications in their past lives).

Yes, I know I sound extremely cynical even though I just said they are a guilty pleasure. Don't we all drink vodka or beer even though we know they can cause us to do some supremely stupid things? So in the same way I continue to read the books even though they set my expectations for my future soulemate(s?) unrealistically high.

I like to think I read those books with the same kind of stealth that some girls reserve for their "Fifty Shades Of Grey" copies. Maybe it is because of my frontal lobe keeping up a continuous commentary of exactly how dumb that lass chasing after a four foot high feline is or maybe it is because some of these books can be called R rated in their descriptions of copulating.

The fervour that keeps me reading them is the same intensity with which a "directioner" or a "belieber" leafs through a "Fan Fiction" (One genre that I am thankful I am done and over with) or the same intensity with which a boy picks up his playboy magazines (Without the messy orgasms, thank you very much).

So what do you think of werewolves? Which genre is your "guilty secret"? Please do comment below.

Stay Awesome, Stay Retarded. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment